Body Mass Index or BMI is a measure of your weight relative to your height. Your doctor uses the BMI as a screening tool to identify weight problems for children and adults.
Cannon Family Health can identify resources that will help you with choosing the correct foods to eat, identify triggers that lead to excess eating, set realistic goals for weight loss, put you in touch with a weight management program, and find an exercise program to meet your needs.
BMI Weight Status
- Below 18.5 Underweight
- 5 – 24.9 Normal
- 0 – 29.9 Overweight
- 0 and above is Obese
Obesity affects multiple parts of your body and can cause permanent damage.
People with a high BMI are at risk to develop…
- Type 2 diabetes
- Heart disease
- Respiratory problems
- Sleep apnea
- Cerebrovascular disease/Stroke
- Joint Damage
At Cannon Family Health, we are here to assist you in creating your personalized weight management care plan. Here are some goals to work on until your next visit.
Short Term Goals to help you reach a healthy BMI
- Adopt a portion control meal plan.
- Identify Food Triggers
- Set Exercise Goals
- Get Support
- Have regular doctor visits with your physician
Long Term Goals
- Reduce BMI to 25.0
- Maintain a routine exercise plan
- Reduce your health risks by losing weight
- Keep yourself moving
- Do not give up if you have a setback. Regroup and keep going.
Here are some additional resources available in WNC
- Health Maintenance – dailyburn.com
- Weight Loss –
- Asheville Gynecology & Wellness (Food For Life program) – 828-585-6655
- Nutritious Thoughts – 828-333-0096
- Weigh to Health – 828-350-1235
- Mission Weight Management - 828-213-2222
Diabetes Prevention - YMCA’s Diabetes Prevention Program Information - 828 559 2401